Mission: The Housing and Land Use Committee provides an open forum for citizen participation in civil dialogue that applies City guidelines for land use in a way that recognizes the unique nature of our Macalester-Groveland residences, businesses and institutions and enhances the livability of our neighborhood.
The Housing and Land Use Committee makes recommendations to the board on zoning matters and attempts to resolve land use issues identified by residents and/or businesses. This committee does this by conducting public meetings and providing an opportunity for community members to voice their concerns and ask questions. The Committee uses the Macalester-Groveland Long Range Plan as a guide for evaluation.
Updates on current developments in MacGrove are available here.
For more information on variances, check out these resources:
Variance Requests & The City of Saint Paul:
The BZA and the planning commission shall have the power to grant variances from the strict enforcement of the provisions of the code if they determine that all of the required findings listed below are met:
1. The variance is in harmony with the general purposes and intent of the zoning code.
2. The variance is consistent with the comprehensive plan.
3. The applicant has established that there are practical difficulties in complying with the provision and that the property owner proposes to use the property in a reasonable manner not permitted by the provision. Economic considerations alone do not constitute practical difficulties.
4. The plight of the landowner is due to circumstances unique to the property not created by the landowner.
5. The variance will not permit any use that is not allowed in the zoning district where the affected land is located.
6. The variance will not alter the essential character of the surrounding area.
2021 Agendas + Minutes
- January 2021 Agenda
2020 Agendas + Minutes
If you would like to access meeting agendas and minutes prior to 2020, please email email@example.com
- November 2020 Agenda
- Information on the proposed redevelopment of 1074-1096 James Avenue can be found here.
- October 2020 Agenda
- A recording of this meeting can be found here.
- September 2020 – CANCELLED
- August 2020 Special Meeting Agenda
- June 2020 Agenda
- June 2020 Special Meeting Agenda
- May 2020 Agenda
- April 2020 Agenda
- March 2020 – CANCELLED
- February 2020 Agenda
- January 2020 – CANCELLED