Mission: The Housing and Land Use Committee provides an open forum for citizen participation in civil dialogue that applies City guidelines for land use in a way that recognizes the unique nature of our Macalester-Groveland residences, businesses and institutions and enhances the livability of our neighborhood.
The Housing and Land Use Committee makes recommendations to the board on zoning matters and attempts to resolve land use issues identified by residents and/or businesses. This committee does this by conducting public meetings and providing an opportunity for community members to voice their concerns and ask questions. The Committee uses the Macalester-Groveland Long Range Plan as a guide for evaluation.
Updates on current developments in MacGrove are available here.
View most recent recorded meeting below:
2021 Agendas + Minutes
- September 2021 Meeting Agenda
- August 2021 Meeting CANCELLED
- July 2021 HLU Meeting Agenda
- June 2021 HLU Meeting Agenda
- May 2021 HLU Meeting Agenda
- April 2021 HLU Meeting Agenda
- March 2021 HLU Meeting Agenda
- March 1, 2021 SPECIAL HLU Meeting Agenda
- February 2021 Agenda
- January 2021 Agenda
2020 Agendas + Minutes
If you would like to access meeting agendas and minutes prior to 2020, please email email@example.com
- November 2020 Agenda
- Information on the proposed redevelopment of 1074-1096 James Avenue can be found here.
- October 2020 Agenda
- A recording of this meeting can be found here.
- September 2020 – CANCELLED
- August 2020 Special Meeting Agenda
- June 2020 Agenda
- June 2020 Special Meeting Agenda
- May 2020 Agenda
- April 2020 Agenda
- March 2020 – CANCELLED
- February 2020 Agenda
- January 2020 – CANCELLED
For more information on variances, check out these resources:
Variance Requests & The City of Saint Paul:
The BZA and the planning commission shall have the power to grant variances from the strict enforcement of the provisions of the code if they determine that all of the required findings listed below are met:
1. The variance is in harmony with the general purposes and intent of the zoning code.
2. The variance is consistent with the comprehensive plan.
3. The applicant has established that there are practical difficulties in complying with the provision and that the property owner proposes to use the property in a reasonable manner not permitted by the provision. Economic considerations alone do not constitute practical difficulties.
4. The plight of the landowner is due to circumstances unique to the property not created by the landowner.
5. The variance will not permit any use that is not allowed in the zoning district where the affected land is located.
6. The variance will not alter the essential character of the surrounding area.
Conditional Use Permits & The City of Saint Paul
The Planning Commission has the authority to issue Conditional Use Permits (CUP). The Planning Commission’s Zoning Committee holds a public hearing and makes a recommendation to the Planning Commission for a final vote. The Planning Commission may act as the Board of Zoning Appeals and grant zoning variances (see above) in accordance with the variance provisions in the zoning code for proposals that also require a CUP.
In addition to meeting all conditions listed under a specific use, there are general conditions that must be met for all Conditional Use Permits as follows:
- The extent, location and intensity of the use will be in substantial compliance with the Saint Paul Comprehensive Plan and any applicable subarea plans which were approved by the city council.
- The use will provide adequate ingress and egress to minimize traffic congestion in the public streets.
- The use will not be detrimental to the existing character of the development in the immediate neighborhood or endanger the public health, safety and general welfare.
- The use will not impede the normal and orderly development and improvement of the surrounding property for uses permitted in the district.
- The use shall, in all other respects, conform to the applicable regulations of the district in which it is located.