Learn more about the Macalester-Groveland 10-year Community Plan
Overview of the Community Plan process
In the spring of 2013, we began the process of gathering information and envisioning the future of the Macalester-Groveland neighborhood. We surveyed over 1000 people, held 5 roundtable discussions, and hosted 3 big community events where we collected input about what’s most important to people in the neighborhood.
Contact the Community Council at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 651-695-4000 to ask questions and get involved!
Purpose of a District Plan
- Provide a 10-year vision, policy priorities and strategies to guide growth, investment, and development in the district
- Provide a process for community engagement to discuss and set priorities for the future of an area, consistent with and assisting to implement the Saint Paul Comp Plan at the neighborhood level
- Incorporate into the district plan key strategies or policies from existing, older small area plan(s) within the district, if the small area plan(s) is no longer needed as a standalone document, and then decertify the old small area plan(s)
Sections of the Plan
- Land use
- Historic Preservation
- Water Resources
- Parks and Recreation
- Business and Economic Development
- Community Building
Macalester-Groveland Community Council Board, Committees and Staff worked with Community and Institutional Partners to reach out to the community to get input on the community plan through focus groups, surveys, forums, and community events. We will analyzed input documents, set the plan scope, decided on policies and strategies, obtained neighborhood input, and drafted the final document for review. We gathered community feedback on the draft at our Annual Meeting on April 10, 2014. We incorporated feedback into the final version of our plan which was approved by the MGCC Board in May of 2015. We then worked with the City of Saint Paul for review and approval. The City Council formally adopted our Community Plan as an addendum to the City’s Comprehensive Plan in August of 2016.
Now the real work begins as we find ways to implement all of the great ideas laid out in the community plan!
See attachment below for a diagram of the process.
Links and Documents
- Watch a YouTube video of a July 2014 SPNN interview with Johanna Anderson (co-chair of the MGCC Environment Committee), discussing our planning process and other MGCC events and activities. Her interview starts at the 1:45 mark.
- More information about Neighborhood Plans
- Read our current community plan (adopted 2016)
- Read our previous community plan (adopted 2001)
- Community Plan Process Diagram