Want to reduce waste at home? Get started backyard composting!
Get a bin:
- Call Eureka Recycling at (651) 222-7678 to purchase the Earth Machine backyard composting bin at a discount.
- Build your own! See the Minnesota PCA Backyard Composting Guide or the Univ. of MN Extension – Composting Structures
- Find one used – twincitiesfreemarket.org or minneapolis.craigslist.org are good places to look.
Learn how to get going with these resources:
- www.pca.state.mn.us/waste/recycling-and-composting – find everything from instructions on how to build a bin to great, illustrated backyard composting instructions and tips.
- www.makedirtnotwaste.org – how-to fact sheets, information on where to buy a bin
- www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/soils/– lots of detailed, scientific information on a wide range of backyard composting topics.
Know what’s legal – and what isn’t – for backyard composting in the City of St. Paul:
- Check out the City’s ordinances on residential composting at St. Paul Municipal Code – Title XXIX – Licenses – Chapter 357 – Solid Waste
Looking to compost more?
Sign up for the Community Council’s Organics Recycling Drop-off Site to start collecting and delivering a wide range of compostable items including freezer boxes, egg cartons, paper towels, napkins, meat and bones, dairy products, compostable tableware, pizza boxes too greasy for recycling pick-up, and much more. Read about our Organics Recycling Drop-off Site to learn more!
- Contact the Community Council office at 651-695-4000 or email email@example.com.