The benefits of using native species in your yard are endless: native gardens absorb much more rainwater than traditional gardens, provide a great habitat for butterflies and birds, and demand less maintenance (both water and fertilizers/pesticides) than non-native gardens. Well-maintained native gardens are environmentally friendly alternatives to lawns and gardens containing non-native species.View a map of all awarded Native Gardens in Mac-Grove!
Unlike the Alley Garden Awards program, the Native Garden Awards rely exclusively on your nominations to recognize well-maintained native gardens! Awards are determined by the end of August.
The nomination form is available to download here. Please submit the form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before July 24, 2020.
In order to qualify for a Native Garden Award, you must meet the follow requirements:
- You must be a resident of the Macalester-Groveland neighborhood.
- The garden area must be weed-free and well-maintained.
- You must have a visible house number both on the street and the alley (unless there is no alley).
- The garden area must be accessible for verification purposes by Environment Committee volunteers.
- At least 50% of the garden area must be in native plants.
- If the garden is on a boulevard, all City Boulevard Garden Regulations must be followed.
- Native Gardens that meet all qualifications for Alley Gardens may earn both awards.
The Macalester-Groveland Native Garden Interest Group has also put together a flyer of their top 20 native plants for sun and shade.
Additionally, most local garden centers can give you great information about what will work best for your garden.
If you have questions, or need more information, please contact the Macalester-Groveland Community Council office at (651) 695-4000 or email@example.com
Native Garden Resources
- University of Minnesota Extension Service Native Plant List (PDF)
- University of Minnesota Extension Service Common Questions About Native Flowers and Plants
- Landscaping with Native Plants (Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources)
- Minnesota Native Plants (Landscape Alternatives, Inc.)
- Minnesota Native Plant Society
- Do It Green Minnesota
- Wild Ones: Twin Cities Chapter