Interested in reducing the amount of waste you toss into your trash can, minimizing your environmental impact, or saving money on your trash bill? Join today and start bringing your compostable organic waste, meat, dairy, bones, and non-recyclable paper to the Macalester-Groveland Organics Recycling Drop-off Site.
The Organics Recycling Drop-off Site offers even avid backyard composters the opportunity to compost more materials like egg cartons, paper towels, napkins, meat and bones, dairy products, compostable tableware, pizza boxes too greasy for recycling pick-up, and much more (see our member guide linked below for a complete list). The Macalester-Groveland Organics Recycling Drop-off Site is completely free for anyone who lives or works in Saint Paul, thanks to support from the City of Saint Paul.
How it works:
- Sign up to receive your member guide, which gives you 24/7 access to the Drop-off Site.
- Pick up BPI-certified compostable bags at the Community Council office or at a local grocery or hardware store. Plastic bags contaminate our compost and are not allowed.
- Start collecting food scraps, leftovers, nonrecyclable papers and much more at home and bring them to the Drop-off Site.
- Organics are hauled to a high heat, commercial composting facility and processed into nutrient-rich finished compost.
Free compostable bags:
The MGCC office is a Ramsey County free compostable bag distribution site. Anyone can stop by during office hours or by appointment to pick up 3 free compostable bags in either a small 3 gallon or medium 13 gallon size.
Why do I need to register annually?
Members’ annual registration information helps us track how many people are using the Drop-off Site so that we can make sure we have enough scheduled pick-ups to accommodate everyone’s materials, and it allows us to share important updates and information with our members and help ensure we keep our collected organics—and the resulting compost– free of contamination.
Organics Recycling Resources:
The Macalester-Groveland Community Council has developed resources to make organics recycling at home convenient and easy.
- Our Member Guide
- Photos of in-home set-ups for organics recycling, backyard compost, and trash bins to fit your space requirements and family size.
- Our recommendations for the best BPI-certified compostable bags available locally.
- Free color labels for organics, recycling and trash bins.
- Ramsey County’s detailed Yes/No organics recycling materials list
Other Organics Drop-Off Sites:
Six Ramsey County Yard Waste sites are now accepting household organics from Ramsey County residents, free of charge. These sites include the Midway, East Side, and Summit Hill sites in Saint Paul. Additionally, there are 24/7 drop off sites in Como and Saint Anthony.
More information: Ramsey County Organic Waste sites
MGCC welcomes the expansion of organics recycling services throughout our county, especially since we know that this will provide more convenient drop-off options for residents in other parts of the city. You can also pick-up free BPI-certified compostable bags at these locations, too.
We welcome your questions! Contact us at 651-695-4000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.